Database on Basic Documents of Japan-ASEAN Relations
Advanced Social and International Studies,
The Fourth Meeting
of the ASEAN Agriculture and Forestry Ministers and the Ministers of the
JOINT PRESS STATEMENT
The ASEAN Ministers of Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of the
Peoples’ Republic of China,
The Ministers expressed satisfaction with the growing number of
cooperation activities in agriculture, fisheries and forestry that have been
carried out between
3. The Ministers recognized the necessity for conserving the natural environment; preserving the social and cultural traditions of rural communities while promoting a sustainable development in agriculture, forestry and fishery sectors. Moreover, the Ministers recognised that agriculture, which is the foundation of each society, should be maintained and developed to secure a stable supply of safe foods to their own peoples.
4. The Ministers reaffirmed the importance of establishing the East Asian Emergency Rice Reserve(EAERR) to strengthen food security and address poverty alleviation in the East Asian region, and encouraged each country to actively contribute on a voluntary basis to the Pilot Project including earmarked and stockpiled rice reserve taking into account the reference quantity for the project and to be further engaged in developing the Guidelines for Release of EAERR stock, while welcoming the commencement of the 3-year Pilot Project of the East Asia Emergency Rice Reserve earlier this year. The Ministers also urged the ASEAN Plus Three countries to join the EAERR expeditiously.
5. The Ministers are pleased with the further developments of the ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS) which manages, analyses and disseminates data and information on food security of the ASEAN Plus Three countries.
6. Recognising the impact of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) on public health, poultry production and the economy in the region, the Ministers expressed their support for the formulation of the HPAI task force to coordinate the control and eradication of HPAI in the region and to share experiences and expertise in HPAI control.
7. The Ministers reaffirmed the important role of rice and its production system in the reduction of poverty and malnutrition population, and welcomed the many activities undertaken by each country to commemorate the International Year of Rice.
8. Recognising that deforestation and degradation of forests in the region still remains to be a critical problem, the Ministers reaffirmed the need for effective collaboration to enhance sustainable forest management in the region.
9. The Ministers affirmed the necessity for the sustainable and effective utilisation of marine bio-resources from a viewpoint of the food security and the cooperation promotion to be contributed to the development of the fishery sector.
Ministers agreed to have their fifth meeting in the
The Ministers noted that the Seventh ASEAN and People’s Republic of
10. The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of the Union of Myanmar for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
The Meeting was attended by:
H.E. Pehin Dato Abdul Rahman Taib, Minister of Industry
and Primary Resources,
H.E. Mr. Chan Sarun, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries,
Honourable Dr. Memed Gunawan, Secretary General, Ministry of
H.E. Dr. Siene Saphangthong, Minister of Agriculture & Forestry, Lao PDR
H.E. Tan Sri Dato' Haji Muhyiddin
bin Haji Mohd. Yassin, Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based
H.E. Major General
Htay Oo, Minister of
Agriculture and Irrigation,
H.E. Mr. Arthur C.
Yap, Secretary of Agriculture, the
H.E. Mr. Mah Bow Tan, Minister for National Development,
H.E. Mr. Suphot Dhirakoasal, Ambassador of
H.E. Dr. Bui Ba Bong, Deputy - Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development
Agriculture and Rural Development,
H.E. Mr. Fan Xiaojian, Vice Minister of Agriculture, People’s Republic of
H.E. Mr. Hiroyuki
KINOSHITA, Vice Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries,
Mr. Hae-Sang PARK, Deputy Minister of
Agriculture and Forestry,